In the analysis of advantages and disadvantages of social media,
- Overcome time and distance, cost effective communication
- Two-way communication is possible eg) one-many, many-one, many-many
- Little capital is needed, inexpensive = Reduce cost of art sale on market
- Small business and emerging enterprenor can compete with big and established brand name companies
- Direct and wide access with a third party on a global market, networking
- Great exposure on a national and international market
- Attract potential clients on a global market
- Intense engagement with clients/site visitors/customers
- Intrusion of privacy and copyrights eg) Naked self-presentation on net. Image theft. Leak of information.
- Risk of maliciously harmful feedbacks, stalking etc by boudless strangers.
- Questionable reliability and validity of information eg) Fake identity. eg) How long will information remain on net?
- Low awareness of responsibility of information sources
- Laws are behind social media issues. eg) Dilemma/conflict between freedom of speech/individual interest and censorship/public interest.
- Insecure, unsafe and vulnerable individuals.
- Blur line between "private" and "public".
- Incessantly feed information on a daily base = Pressure on information senders.
- Exclusion of a specific group eg) people without site membership or computer skills.
- Unpredictable its impact on our future lives and society.
My research has found that research essays are behind to well discuss the impact of social media and social changing. It seems that before analysing social media, our society is rapidly moving away! Or data collection is difficult = Collected data gets out of date = too fast to change. What a busy time we are living! No one knows what's the impact of social media on our society and our lives. If so, we want to use internet and social media in a wise and healthy way.
Some suggestions to be a smart user of social media for a user.
- Need to know legal knowledge at least "Copyrights Law," and "DMCA takedown notice". Study well and stay safe. **Each country has a different national law, but we need to know both national and international laws.
- Check where to get help in case of hacker, image theft etc. Prepare the worst senario or rain while a sunny day. Study well and stay safe.
- Respect the privacy of individuals = Get a person's permission to post something related to personal information. Confidentiality of information.
- Don't open up or touch fishy information. Access first-hand information and use it.
- Clarify information sources and show it. It is a social manner and fair use protects you from illegal copyrights intrusion.
Oh, yes, I'm working on the selection of art works for the exhibitions and labeling along the plan and creating more images for the People of Parramatta like above.
Friends, Happy Painting! Let us be smart social media users!
Edosomwan S, Kouame D, Prakasan K, Seymour, T and Watson J (2011) "The History of Social Media and its Impact on Business", The Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 2011, Vol. 16, No.3 http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.458.6848&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Murthy D (2010) "Towards a Sociological Understanding of Social Media: Theorizing Twitter" http://www.darkmatter101.org/wiki/lib/plugins/fckg/fckeditor/userfiles/file/lib/scripts/jquery/jquery-ui-theme/images/towards_a_sociological_understanding_of_social_media-_theorizing_twitter.pdf